Wednesday 20 October 2010

Trilobite Boy - gargoyle progress #3

Took a bit of time this morning to work on my Trilobite Boy - gargoyle piece.  I may not end up calling it that.

Click to enlarge a bit.

Played with some gradient stencils in ArtRage, and I think it came out okay.  Still need to finish his combat boots, the gargoyles, rooftop, building across the street.  Originally I wanted to leave the wings unfinished and ghostly, since Trilobite Boy doesn't typically have them.  But I like the sky/horizon and maybe they do need a bit of colour. 


I like this close-up. 
It's kind of a depressing piece, which I wanted.  Lots of blues, and Trilobite Boy just ruminating.

This morning I read
this piece by Jonah Lehrer about depression and creativity.  And then I watched this.

More on this painting here.
More about Trilobite Boy here.

- - - - - - - -

Original artwork on
The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow
under
Creative Commons Licence.

Portfolio
Blog
Print Shop

4 comments:

extrantice said...

Interesting article, thank you for linking to it. :)

Personally, I've found I can't work when I'm at my worst. But then, if I'm in an incredibly good mood I tend to be too distracted, too.

Glendon Mellow said...

I agree Marianne, it's a fine line. A bit down can be motivating. I started this blog in a short fit of frustration one day because I was painting and doing nothing with my artwork. On the other hand, true worries are too distracting to get anything done.

Unknown said...

I like it. I think the finishing touch should be some Chuck Taylor All Stars for the shoes.

Glendon Mellow said...

Great idea, Eric! I was thinking combat boots or Dco Martens, but Chuck Taylor's would be closer to the mood of the Trilobite Boy Rocks Out painting too.

Thanks!

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |