Friday 1 October 2010

Good-bye and some art by colleagues

Today marks my last day working for DeSerres, Canada's largest art craft and creative retailer.  (You need a  postal code to enter the site and there's no shipping outside Canada - here's a Toronto postal code for non-residents who are curious about where I've been working: M6J 2C8).

I've never named where I work directly in a blog post, although you can see where on my LinkedIn profile or if you ask me.

It's been 10 years since I started in the company, most of that time managing stores and working with dynamic, creative people.

I thought in honour of my last day I would post the artwork of just a few of the people I have had the privilege of working with.  Please make sure to visit their websites and blogs.  I wish I could somehow showcase the compassion and talent of many of the non-artsy by essential people who give the company heart as well.  To my colleagues I have neglected to include in this post, my apologies.

I've learned a lot from everyone there, and I hope you've learned some things from me.
* * *




The Affair, © by Jesse Graham.  Blog: ILL Droppings 
A squid and a mermaid!

***



Art ©  by Adam Swinbourne.  His site here - head over for the ka-pow.
I keep meaning to ask Adam if that dog is Laika.
***



Carousel, © by Michael Kuchma.  A review of his work and life at Angell Gallery
I need to pause here and say a few things about Michael.  Michael only worked on my team briefly, for about 3 months back in 2007. He was a fascinating guy, nonchalant and unpretentious and he liked talking about big ideas: the universe, time, and art.  He was interested in urban spaces, both to walk in and to paint.  We lost touch after a while, and in 2009 I found out Michael had died, having taken his own life in March 2008.

Michael was very individual, and typical of the people I have worked with over the years: talented artistically, compassionate towards others, with a really clever mind. He started up a blog talking about art in many of the galleries here on West Queen West, and shrugged off the criticisms with ease and had fun with it.

I remember one day in March 2007, frustrated with my self for having done nothing with my artwork after many years of painting and sitting stewing about while having a day off from work, I decided to check out Michael's blog, and see if there was some way I could teach myself to start an art blog.  If he could do it, maybe I could. Not knowing a damn thing about it, I started The Flying Trilobite that day.  I owe a lot to Michael's example.  

***


©  Anna-Karoliina Koskinen.  Her gallery site is here.
Karoliina's an amazing portrait painter.
Run from the Rainbow Land Sprite, children!
***
Background painting © by Taras Ostapchuk. His blog is here
I love lamp.
***


This roaringly good (har har) piece is © Gillian Newland.  You can read her profile at McClelland.com and Gillians's also a member of Sketchkrieg. Children's books with her illustrations can be found on Amazon.
***



A drawing of Maddy Kettle and her flying boat, © Eric Orchard.  Eric's amazing blog is here, and he updates like every day. You can also see Eric's portfolio here, and his books on Amazon here.
Watch for his upcoming comic book and other projects.
The enthusiasm Eric shows on his blog for art is only surpassed by his enthusiasm in person.
***




Bride and Doom, ©  Holly Gilmour.
Holly has tremendous talent and I expect she'll be picked up by some major studio one day.
Everything she paints would be a cool action figure.
Holly's blog: Miss HollyHoolaHoop
Go and check out the hipster bunny and zombie ice cream.

***
S'long, folks!  But not good-bye.


- - - - - - - -
Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow
under
Creative Commons Licence.


All art work in this post is © to the respective artists.
Please visit their sites for copyright info or contact them before copying this artwork.
Thanks.
Portfolio
Blog
Print Shop

4 comments:

Trish said...

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing these.

Glendon Mellow said...

You're welcome! There are so many more talented people there, I may need to add a part 2.

extrantice said...

Such excellent stuff :D Varied and beautiful and strange - all great things.

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks for your comments Marianne!

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |