Monday 26 January 2009

Art Monday: mucking around

Continuing to muck around with my blog banner since re-decorating The Flying Trilobite's bloggy aesthetics. Here's a look at where it's been.

The original overall look.

Blog banner year one.

Year two.

Taking advantage of the new white background, here was a pixelly version I removed after about a week.And where we are now. This feels more painterly and blends better than the hard edges.

I have plans to post a completely new banner in time for my second blogiversary in March. The shale is ready, I've been sketching and I've got a design ticking in my head.

Blog banner design is something I enjoy, and I have done some freelance for other bloggers. I've found it to be pretty rewarding to try and capture a blogger's "voice" in a 700x250 pixel space.

- - -
Here's a making of The Meming of Life, and commentary by the blogger.
Here's the making of Of Two Minds.
And the making of Retrospectacle.
- - - - - - - -

Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow under Creative Commons Licence.

Flying Trilobite Gallery ### Flying Trilobite Reproduction Shop ### 2009 Calendar available for a limited time

6 comments:

Sean Craven said...

Quite nice. This really works with the current design.

Interesting to see that the soft edge really resembles some of the edges I've been playing with in my own work over the last week -- but their purpose and production methods are entirely different.

Edges. I don't think anyone who isn't an artist can understand just how important they are.

Anonymous said...

Hey Glendon!!

Can't wait to wait to see your brain comes up with this time for a Banner.

Whatever you decide, though, I'm sure you won't disappoint.

BTW, Cheers to you Second Blogoversary in March!!

Prehistoric Insanity said...

I personally really liked the pixel one. Why were you unhappy with it. I liked that it merged the organic (both the subject of flying trilobite but also the process of art) with the technologic (which is what you do here are the internet).

At the same time the smudge tool one looks good too. Though I couldn't help but be reminded of my recent logo for "Ed the Ringwraith", as I'm certain we did the same thing to achieve that cloudy swirl.

I'm hoping that a new banner has long wings like your last posted winged trilobite. It my favourite of the hypothetical family ever! When a print of the painted one comes out I'll be the first in line to get one.

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Sean!

In part this is inspired by the nice things you have said about my pencils looking like paint. Made me think about the banner differently.

Thanks Raptor. I hope it works.

It probably is similar technique Craig. Hooray for Photoshop! Perhaps on the new version I'll do that part in oil, although this meshes nicely.

Ed the Ringwraith is good fun, by the way.

You liked the pixel one, Craig? I will admit, I don't really get a good look at the right hand side unless I drag it over - out laptop monitor has the pixels popped into invisibility (But if I bend it just so they come back on). So the pixel one looks extra awkward to me.

At any rate, it will do until March.

Heather Ward said...

I like the new look! Sorry I haven't been around much. I like the new banner, though.

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Heather!

And no worries. That's the advantage of the internet. It's there waiting for you. ;-)

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |