Friday, 16 July 2010

I write like

This morning I analyzed my writing style using the "I Write Like" site that's so popular at the moment. Everyone's doing it.  I threw in my blog post about making The Last Refuge for analysis.  

I write like
Arthur C. Clarke
I Write Like by Mémoires, Mac journal software. Analyze your writing!

"Any sufficiently advanced flying trilobite is indistinguishable from awesome." 

- - - - - - - -

Original artwork on
The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow
Creative Commons Licence.

Print Shop


Leah said...

Apparently, my nonfiction is like James Joyce and my fiction is like Stephen King. :-)

Thanks for sharing.

WhySharksMatter said...

I've given this thing three different writing samples and gotten three different "you write likes". I'm skeptical.

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Leah! I admit I've never read James Joyce. And only minimal Clarke. I like newer sf stories.

WSM, I agree. My friend the Renaissance Oaf plugged in numerous examples and got numerous outcomes. I think it's either pseudo-random, or looks for some small phrasing to make a decision.

Leah said...

Yeah, I wish they'd give some sort of explanation about why your writing resembles a specific writer. Otherwise, it seems kind of fortune cookie-ish.

Oedipus said...

Another way to debunk this is to analyze a short story, say, Superiority by Arthur C. Clarke. The result: H. P. Lovecraft. We shouldn't expect 100% accuracy, but still, that is a good-sized sample of text.

The other example I tried was the Tell-Tale Heart by Poe, which came out with Vladimir Nabokov.

It's an interesting idea but I agree that it looks like just a gimmick---a simple algorithm.

Glendon Mellow said...

Lovecraft? That's hilarious. Did you see Margaret Atwood said over Twitter her writing came out as "Stephen King"?

Yeah, I agree Oedipus. Fun for a lark only. I admit, I really only posted it so I could use the "...indistinguishable from magic" line my own way.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.