Wednesday 8 October 2008

PZ Myers is coming to Toronto - Poster

PZ Myers of Pharyngula is coming to Toronto to give a lecture about science and religion in education, and I've made a poster for the Centre for Inquiry Ontario.

See if you can figure out the symbols I used.

You can read more about the event and how to get a ticket, here. Or better yet if you live in the Toronto area, help support science and rational thought by becoming a friend of the Centre. Many of the events are free and they've got a staggering new library.

I'm looking forward to it. Like many people, after reading Richard Dawkins site for a while, I began to take notice of this PZ Myers fellow that kept cropping up.

I'm also looking forward to seeing this poster around U of T campus. I'll see if I can get any photos of it up, and I'll post them with the rough sketch and painting on the next Artwork Monday. As well, I'll explain the symbols - and let you know the explanations other people had for them!


- -

All original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow. The contents of this blog are under a Creative Commons Licence. See sidebar for details. Please visit my blog, gallery and reproduction store.

3 comments:

Peter Bond said...

What an awesome poster! I of coarse see the forbidden fruit, the devil-snake and the child-like adam's finger (almost Michaelangelo-style). But I also caught the DNA inside the tree branch. There's more, right? Great job, Grendon!

As a teacher, I would love to hear his talk! Any way we can film it?

Glendon Mellow said...

I'm not sure about filming it. I think the CFI may be doing that.

And yeah, you got most of it.

The apple is not only the forbidden fruit, it's also the symbol of the Toronto District School Board. The hand really was intended to be just a child's hand, but your the secod person to think of Adam's hand by Mr. Buonarroti.

The basic intention was the apple (education) supported by the branch (of science, which is related to education) is under threat by the ghostly snake (religion) forming out of the air. The child is reaching its hand into the potential mess.

Anyone see something else?

Christopher Zenga said...

Hey G-mel,

I would love to see a pic of the poster in Tdot. It will definitely feel REAL when you see it live on the street.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |