Monday 6 October 2008

Artwork Mondays: Art is Easy

Art is easy.

Last week I lamented it is hard. And although finding the time for art is difficult, I am never at a loss for ideas. That said, collaboration often takes me places I never thought I'd go.

So on this Artwork Monday, I'd like to try a challenge:

For the first person to comment with a really unusual idea, I will try to come up with at least a sketch and post it by editing this post by midnight tonight. I'll check back on the comment section in about 12 hours (6pm eastern standard).

- - -

Edit: Okay, so maybe the previous Artwork Monday post was correct. Finding time for art is hard. I'm a few hours late, and the sketch is a little too simple and uninspired.

Rudi and Traumador's ideas deserve a little more time devoted to them, don't you think? I had some technical difficulties with another project I was working on last night, and well, it gobbled up my evening. Perhaps later in the week I'll post a couple of other pieces I've been working on behind the scenes for a while now.

- -

All original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow. The contents of this blog are under a Creative Commons Licence. See sidebar for details. Please visit my blog, gallery and reproduction store.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Glendon,

This is more of an, "Art in Awe of Sci-Fi" idea.

I've always been interested in the combination of biology and technology. However I have not seen the treatment of cyborgs in art, or sci-fi that I could get excited about.

The cyborgs I see are not a merger of hardware with wetwear, but more along the lines of biological components designed by artificial means that can get "installed" and "upgraded" into a living organism. Brings new meaning to "virus scan".

Do you want to try out "Lungs 2.1 beta"...no thanks I'll stay with the stable release 2.0"

Glendon Mellow said...

Hmm.

Do you mean biomechanical lungs? Bio-engineered lungs? Removable?

traumador said...

"Birth of the Venusaurus" Lillian emerging from a molting Trilobite shell... it'll be a masterpiece my friend! Afterall it works when hollywood remakes stuff all the time, doesn't it? ;p

Glendon Mellow said...

You know Traumador, I've often considered doing racy theropod pin-ups as a source of income. The artistic kind, you know, of the sort you see in respected science journals that are worthwhile for the articles and political commentaries.

In the case of Lillian, I'm afraid I would have to get a model's consent contract to use images of her body, and prove she is over 19 (million) years of age.

Anonymous said...

Hi Glendon,

It's definetly in the ugly phase. But I didn't even expect you pick it. IMHO art is harder when you do it for someone else than yourself.

It is along the lines of what I was trying to convey. I still have to get the concepts staright in my head as well. I have not done any writing lately, this sketch will help a little.
Thanks

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |