Monday 25 July 2011

Cloak and Dagger wip

Decided late last night to get cracking on another Marvel Comics image for fun.  Below, the start of my work-in-progress of Cloak and Dagger, being done with ArtRage Studio Pro.



I've always liked these two, ever since their half-book run in Strange Tales opposite Dr. Strange.  Artist Bret Blevins' take on the pair defines them for me, though I loved Kevin Nowlan's covers. This series introduced the sinister Mr. Jip (and also had the best Dr. Strange stories ever, after he destroyed all the ancient talismans that protect Earth in order to save his friends. He becomes super evil to save the world.)


Art by Carl Potts and Bret Blevins

Dagger is a teen dancer, and should be lithe, but it often portrayed in a really voluptuous way which I don't think fits this character. Her costume is revealing, but also carries a really simple design that would work well even without all the skin showing. Cloak's skin is supposed to appear sort of like old wood, so I'll see what I can do in this image to grant that effect, though most will be in shadow. 

For this image, I wanted to have more mystery, and an air of menace. We'll see how it turns out. 

Here's some previous sketches I posted a couple of years back:




- - - - - - - -

Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow
under Creative Commons Licence.
Cloak & Dagger © Marvel Comics, fanart being done without permission.

Portfolio
Blog
Print Shop

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The colour and lighting reflects the mood and history of the two teens extremely well! Nicely done!

And, it looks like that software is serving you really well; it almost looks free-hand (which is unfathomably excellent!).

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |