Friday 25 February 2011

Mother Mars

An older oil painting of mine, embodying the Mother Nature on Mars and the ALH84001 meteorite. (Portions of this post are reposted from May 2008, with new images.) Click to enlarge.



This image appears in my latest calendar. Did you know you can choose which month my calendars start in?
Click here to check calendar collection 3





This painting was inspired by the Martian meteorite, ALH84001 and the inscription is carved into the rock in the bottom left.


The figure represents a mythology that never-was, the personification of Mother Nature on the planet Mars, wasted and haunting.



After struggling with a "mermaid's purse" shark egg to represent the false hope of organisms on Mars, I eventually attended a lecture at the University of Toronto where the topic of discussion was the possible discovery of fossil remnants in a meteor that originated on Mars. I learned about the magnetite chains found in the meteor, and watched a video of the cute little microbes whipping this way and that, following a moving magnet. I replaced the shark egg with an enlarged, ruptured microbe immediately.



Until that lecture, this painting sat unfinished and abandoned for over a year, and I was sure I would paint over it. It's something I seldom do, but I really wasn't fond of it. The addition of the magnetite-bearing microbe made all the difference to me.



The face was a sort of riff on the infamous hill-face on Mars, later proved to be simply a low-res, shadowed coincidence. I felt the debunked image lent a certain poignancy to Mother Mars.



Mars is what we make it. Perhaps a future mission will find signs of life in the Martian arctic? If not, it continues to be a planet of hope, and one we invest more myths, ideas and dreams in than any planet other than our own.



Here is one of Phoenix's photos of the Martian arctic:


© NASA

- - - - - - - - 


Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow

1 comment:

Jason R said...

Glancing at the post title in my aggregator, I first thought you were doing something with this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Needs_Moms

I like your story better.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |