Friday 21 March 2008

D.N.A. Candle - Vanitas II


This oil painting was done for my good friends A & K for their wedding.

I have
blogged previously about the symbology behind this image. It is a concept I use sometimes mixed with other elements, as in my Symbolist-era-inspired, gigantic, thematic, magnum opus The Forever Painting. I attempt to make each D.N.A. Candle Vanitas a little different from the others, and some colours seem to suit certain couples, or perhaps my mood while painting.

They are a joy to do, and I hope the happy couple enjoys this one.

All original artwork on
The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow. The contents of this blog are under a Creative Commons Licence. See sidebar for details.

4 comments:

traumador said...

I always wondered how candles were held up if they are so melty... DNA it all makes sense... if we lived in a 50's sci-fi movie or a troy macleor science film...

seriously how'd you get the DNA inside the caramilk candle?

Glendon Mellow said...

The candles were once melty, but portions have cooled off, leaving the interesting rivulets down the side.

Perhaps I should post a "making of" so you can see the dna going inside the candle? ;-)

As I mentioned in my DeviantArt gallery, perhaps I should make a sculpture of one of these this summer...?

Anonymous said...

Great candles Glendon!

Glendon Mellow said...

Oh, pshaw, Carl!

(Thanks!)

:-)

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |