Monday 12 October 2009

Art Monday: practicing with Brushes

The Brushes app on my iPod Touch always makes for an interesting diversion in those odd moments - standing and waiting for a friend, a short streetcar ride.

I've been practicing a bit to get more detail. The control over opacity and the colour picker are terrific. My one grumble with this elegant little program is in using small brushes.


(Click to enlarge - probably to bigger than it appears when I'm working on it!)


There are three brushes, smooth to coarse, and a slider to alter the width. The problem is the slider is real touchy at the narrow end. So duplicating a "pencil" sized line becomes a real challenge.

I've been working on this face off and on, trying to play with wrinkles and textures, and generally get a handle on the program. A lot of the proportions are off, (and the purplish glowing eyes are possibly a bit creepy) but it's for the sake of the exercise.

- - - - - - - -
Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow
under Creative Commons Licence.

Flying Trilobite Gallery
*** Flying Trilobite Reproduction Shop ***

4 comments:

traumador said...

i like the due, he has a sort of tribal mythical vibe about him. shaman of the digital forest...

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks! Like I said, the anatomy of the face is almost embarrassing, but I was really aiming to just get detail.

I really need to find some sort of stylus that works so I can see precisely where I'm touching.

Peter Bond said...

Is he Gregor Mendel? Pea vines...

Glendon Mellow said...

Ha!

Nope. Just a doodle.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |