Saturday 23 May 2009

One comment dissing supernatural forces later...

...And suddenly I'm getting creationist diatribes in my inbox. I've painted Darwin, drawn Dawkins, supported the Beagle, sported a scarlet "A", repeatedly stated how old trilobite fossils are, and now I get these?

Some people calling themselves Alex & Sue in the U.K. sent me email regarding apes and humans not being as closely related as once thought, with restraint shown to the amount of Biblical quotes thrown in. And another about the Flood and dinosaurs and the Earth being 4,300 years old. Weak attempts at quoting New Scientist and Stephen Jay Gould.


From some folks calling themselves "mail for truth at sky dot com". Future emails from them will be blocked.


As I said in my last post, please remove the holy book from your mouth before you start speaking. Otherwise I can't understand you. I really don't mean to be flippant, but starting from the end you wish to reach is no way to make an argument.

- - - - - - - -

Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow under Creative Commons Licence.
Flying Trilobite Gallery ### Flying Trilobite Reproduction Shop ###

4 comments:

Sean Craven said...

Here's where it hurts -- whoever wrote that comment was assuming that it was a compliment to describe what you, or what you were doing, as a gift of god.

Hey, I can sympathize with that. When you run across something you find genuinely admirable there is a real temptation to give some credit to divinity.

But for those of us who can't subscribe to that paradigm, well...

How do you tell someone who is sincere in their feelings that you don't agree with them? You handled it with real grace in the initial post -- but it didn't seem to do the job.

And now you get emails...

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Sean. I'm not sure how much grace I had. I always find it awkward to openly state disagreement with a worldview I find unbelievable, because no matter how I phrase it, it feels like it comes out rude. Must be my Canadian nature.

m said...

I got those e-mails as well, I thought it was just me! One about 'what happened to the dinosaurs?' (well, the non-avian ones went extinct and the rest we call birds), and the other about apes and monkeys. Both ended with the same point though: evolution is wrong, the Bible is right. If it were a real person sending the e-mail, rather than a robot that gleaned our e-mail addresses off our blogs or others we comment on, they should've realised that by looking at my surname, there's no way that I would be a Christian bible-basher: I'm more likely to be Muslim, or even an atheist heathen :p.

Glendon Mellow said...

Oh good, it's not just me. :-{ So it was probably just coincidence that it arrived right after my post. Or was it divine providence? Cue Twilight Zone theme.

Well Mo, they also probably thought from my surname I've fairly relaxed and chilled out.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |