Monday 8 December 2008

Art Monday: hadrosaur sketching at the museum

Some museum sketching pics from November, taken at the Royal Ontario Museum.

My nephew and I sketching a Corythosaurus skull he found interesting. He's part of the Explorer's Club there, and received a nice treasure for all the visits this year.
- -
Comparing my Gryposaurus incurvimanus drawing to the original.
I like the interesting reflections of the new Crystal architecture on the glass in this shot.
- -
The Gryposaurus skull drawing is also featured as one of the dozen months of 2009 in my
1st-ever calendar, on sale for about 23 bucks. And there's still time to get it for the New Year.- -
All original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow. The contents of this blog are under a Creative Commons Licence. See sidebar for details.
Please visit my blog, gallery and reproduction store.

7 comments:

Sean Craven said...

Oh, man, that looks like fun. I've got to start getting my observational drawing chops back into gear.

I'm a forty-minute walk away from a Tyrannosaurus mount. I should be taking advantage. (Not to mention the University's botanical garden...)

traumador said...

sweet.

that's fun for the whole family alright ;p

so are we looking at the flying larva in training in these pics!

the drawing looks spot on by the by

Glendon Mellow said...

Hey Sean.

It is fun. My nephew got right into it, really concentrating.

Thanks Traumador!

I worked on that one longer than some. My one complaint is that the museum's hours during the week are close to business hours, and it's hard to get there before they close.

Zachary Miller said...

I'd go to the Alaska Musem of Natural History more often, but their hours are exactly when I'm at work. Plus, they're on the complete opposite side of town, so it's a thirty, forty minute drive depending on the traffic. On weekends, the only time I'd really be able to get over there, the traffic is awful.

So I don't get to do that many observational drawings. All I've got are my own (fake) specimens, but that's better than nothing, right? Now that I've got a sweet Trcic T.rex, I really have no excuse other than pure sloth to not draw it.

Glendon Mellow said...

Zach, I'd say you owe it to yourself to go all symbolic with your comment.

Draw a t-rex eating a sloth. ;-)

Anonymous said...

As always, you are AWESOME!!!

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Raptor Lewis! I try.

Aim for awesome, settle for improvement. ;-)

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |