Monday 11 August 2008

Artwork Mondays: Trilobitlepidoptology


From the notes of the renowned pioneer in the field of trilobitlepidotology, Dame Francesca Pithclade-Jolly;

"Some of the coarser naturalists in the field say I have quite man-like hands, but to them I say bother and damnation! Could hands less delicate than mine have mounted such fine specimens?"

This drawing is a continuation of the sketch from a couple of weeks ago, before I left for a cottage. Right after completing this piece, we went to the stellar Blue Willow Butterflies & Blooms center near Sutton, Ontario. Now I've got some nifty new photos to work from if I continue reading the works of Dame Pithclade-Jolly on trilobitlepidoptology.

- -
All original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow. The contents of this blog are under a Creative Commons Licence. See sidebar for details.

8 comments:

Zach said...

Bizarre, to say the least!

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Zach!

But which part? The hands? The deficit of colour when butterflies are involved?

Stephanie Zvan said...

I love the way the hand drew my attention, so the trilobite was the last thing I saw as I scanned across the drawing. It provided a great moment of surprise, even though I shouldn't have been surprised at all.

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Stephanie! It wasn't meant to surprise, but that's mighty keen.

*beaming*

I think the hand may need to cast a shadow, as will the butterflies.

I was going to use pencil crayons on this to practice with those, but I may instead print it onto canvas paper and paint in oils.

Zachary Miller said...

The trilobite with butterfly wings, of course!

Glendon Mellow said...

Zach, I hardly think a trilobite with butterfly wings is unusual when discussing trilobtlepidoptology.

Sheesh.

Heather Ward said...

Awesome sketch! Yes, adding shadow would make it more realistic. Reminds me of that style, however you spell it, trompe l'oiel.

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Heather!

I agree. Needs shadows.

I can't wait to get back to this piece.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |