Tuesday 19 August 2008

Artwork Mondays: Forever Painting II

How do I follow the last few blog posts?

Drugs and inspiration, a cocktail party with other science-oriented artsy-types, coined a word which I fully expect Webster's dictionary to include this year, offered art for sale in support of an important event, and I have a blog banner featured on The Meming of Life. What to do, what to do?

I offer this humble sketch, an early preliminary for The Forever Painting II.

The Forever Painting was my largest oil painting, and involved many of the themes I has worked on for the previous several years. Perhaps the new one will do the same? At the moment I am considering clouds and a bright blue sky in order to make this one a more hopeful counterpoint to the original, below.

- - -

(Today is Tuesday, and this is an Artwork Monday post. Does it mitigate my circumstances to say yesterday involved a VIP turning 7 years old, wearing explorer hats, being paranoid about peach-eating velociraptors and treasure-guarding mummies?)

(How does an atheist-artist perform penance? Shall I paint a religious scene of some sort?)

- -
All original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow. The contents of this blog are under a Creative Commons Licence. See sidebar for details. Please visit my blog, gallery and reproduction store.

10 comments:

traumador said...

WOW I didn't know you knew any VIPs! Were they on a museum quest too (thus the raptors and mummies chasing them... wait if their raptors chasing them I could give them some advice)

Sounds like a really good excuse for being late ;p

Anonymous said...

You are a hard act to follow :)
You have obviously reaced your apex. No point in going further :)

I really love the sketch. I am fond of tree sketches, and the way you created the human form from the negative space is brilliant.

Now you have gone and made me afraid of those peach eating velociraptors. Good thing I bought blueberries, instead...

I just had a visual of the artist
flagellating with a whip made of little tiny paint brushes...

Glendon Mellow said...

Hmm, we totally could've used your help, Traumador. The VIP was my now-7 year old nephew who I've referred to previously as Obi-Wan on this blog - - though now he prefers to be called Dr. Jones.

Of course, with Google allowing blogs to post on a schedule, I really could've gotten it ready in advance.

Glendon Mellow said...

My apex? Not until you and I participate in an 'Exquisite Corpse'drawing exercise, Leslie! ;-)

Thanks about the sketch. A little calmer than the first version, which is appealing to my chaotic state of mind at the moment.

And harsh punishment. My poor tiny beloved paint brushes - who would that punish, me or them?

Can't I just paint a nice schmaltzy religious scene with Apollo and some putti hovering around? Zeus is still a popular god to worship, right?

Anonymous said...

"Exquisite Corpse Drawing Exercise".
Gawd, I hope that refers to what we would draw, rather than our condition at the time of drawing! :)

Puh-leeze no schmaltzy hovering puttis.

Unknown said...

These are great! The tree is so sensitively rendered. My wife has worked in medical research for years and I love sciencey-arty types.I think that's one of the reasons my work comes out the way it does. what medium is the bottom one in?

Glendon Mellow said...

Hi Eric!

The bottom one is in oil, and is a diptych standing about 5 feet high, and three feet wide. I lived with that painting in a couple of very small apartments a number of years ago.

Oops, sorry, we're in Canada, I should've said that in metric.

Anonymous said...

Good Job! :)

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks, Sven!

Anonymous said...

Good article, you make some interesting points .

Art Gallery Dealers Consultants data

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |