Monday 28 July 2008

Artwork Mondays: White Trilobite

*sigh*
Not every painting is close enough to perfect for the artist to feel happy about it. Sometimes I hesitate to post sketches, fretting I'm not putting my best foot forward. This oil painting is a sketch too, of sorts, although at the time I intended it to become a final illustration.

A few years ago, I had an idea for a story book, about a trilobite on a quest. It would have been a bit dream-like as far as narrative, mostly a thin thread tying together a series of images I had in mind. This was to be the first illustration, a trilobite illuminated by a powerful shaft of light from an angler fish or other bioluminescent denizen of the deep.

The image is missing an entry point for the viewer, either a fish or person watching the scene alongside our view, or a nearby plant. There is nothing floating in the murk in the distance, or any refuge points for the viewer to grasp on to. The composition needs a lot of work. And our hero needs eyes and maybe even some corrected anatomy.

It is possible I've grown enough as an artist I could paint the rest to my satisfaction, and even a few simple circular white flecks done hastily in Photoshop have piqued my interest again. I like the idea of a trilobite able to change its colour to match its environment like a squid or chameleaon, and it would have throughout the story.

So many ideas, so little time.
- -
All original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow. The contents of this blog are under a Creative Commons Licence. See sidebar for details.

8 comments:

traumador said...

My first thought seeing the painting was a deep sea sub finding it so your idea worked.

Glendon Mellow said...

Nifty!

Thanks for the feedback, Traumador.

Stephanie Zvan said...

"So many ideas, so little time."

True dat. Story of my life. If there were only a way to shift the balance so more of them were fruitful and fewer were "learning experiences." A way aside from chasing them all down, that is.

Glendon Mellow said...

Absolutely, Stephanie.

I always laugh when I read exercises on stimulating your creativity. Who has that problem?

It's putting all the concepts down on paper fast enough that is the challenge.

Emile said...

It's very pretty. I second Traumador's opinion - that's what I saw at first.

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Emile!

Perhaps I will do more with it soon.

Peter Bond said...

I really like the idea of a "white trilobite." A sort of albino trilobite...
Are there any albino arthropods? Great mood in the painting anyway, I like it!

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Peter! I was aiming for a sort-of trapped in the headlights look.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |