Monday, 28 July 2008

Artwork Mondays: White Trilobite

*sigh*
Not every painting is close enough to perfect for the artist to feel happy about it. Sometimes I hesitate to post sketches, fretting I'm not putting my best foot forward. This oil painting is a sketch too, of sorts, although at the time I intended it to become a final illustration.

A few years ago, I had an idea for a story book, about a trilobite on a quest. It would have been a bit dream-like as far as narrative, mostly a thin thread tying together a series of images I had in mind. This was to be the first illustration, a trilobite illuminated by a powerful shaft of light from an angler fish or other bioluminescent denizen of the deep.

The image is missing an entry point for the viewer, either a fish or person watching the scene alongside our view, or a nearby plant. There is nothing floating in the murk in the distance, or any refuge points for the viewer to grasp on to. The composition needs a lot of work. And our hero needs eyes and maybe even some corrected anatomy.

It is possible I've grown enough as an artist I could paint the rest to my satisfaction, and even a few simple circular white flecks done hastily in Photoshop have piqued my interest again. I like the idea of a trilobite able to change its colour to match its environment like a squid or chameleaon, and it would have throughout the story.

So many ideas, so little time.
- -
All original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow. The contents of this blog are under a Creative Commons Licence. See sidebar for details.

8 comments:

Traumador said...

My first thought seeing the painting was a deep sea sub finding it so your idea worked.

Glendon Mellow: The Flying Trilobite said...

Nifty!

Thanks for the feedback, Traumador.

Stephanie Zvan said...

"So many ideas, so little time."

True dat. Story of my life. If there were only a way to shift the balance so more of them were fruitful and fewer were "learning experiences." A way aside from chasing them all down, that is.

Glendon Mellow: The Flying Trilobite said...

Absolutely, Stephanie.

I always laugh when I read exercises on stimulating your creativity. Who has that problem?

It's putting all the concepts down on paper fast enough that is the challenge.

Emile said...

It's very pretty. I second Traumador's opinion - that's what I saw at first.

Glendon Mellow: The Flying Trilobite said...

Thanks Emile!

Perhaps I will do more with it soon.

Peter Bond said...

I really like the idea of a "white trilobite." A sort of albino trilobite...
Are there any albino arthropods? Great mood in the painting anyway, I like it!

Glendon Mellow: The Flying Trilobite said...

Thanks Peter! I was aiming for a sort-of trapped in the headlights look.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.