Thursday 5 March 2009

Open Laboratory 2008 launch!

It's here!


A big gaudy tail feather in my cap.

Thanks to Dave Ng of The World's Fair for a fun collaboration, and making my artwork look so good. Dave and I backed-and-forthed with the cover a bit, along with input from editor Jennifer Rohn of Mind the Gap and series editor Bora Zivkovic of A Blog Around the Clock. Dave did the heavy lifting, I just smeared the background around and tried not to crave chocolate-favoured coffee while I did it.

There's a ton of exciting entries I can't wait to read. My first book cover, and second publication within just a few weeks! I plan on waltzing around town with this book, letting people judge it by its cover.

Remember too, purchase of Open Laboratory 2008 goes to supporting next year's ScienceOnline unconference. This book is crafted for the love of reading science online.

You can find badges supporting the book, as well as a list of the editors, and blogs that are doing a shout-out all at A Blog Around the Clock.

Whaddaya think? Do we need a brief "making of" post?

(The Darwin image featured here is available in a variety of t-shirts from RedBubble. A portion of the proceeds goes toward The Beagle Project.)

- - - - - - - -

Original artwork on The Flying Trilobite Copyright to Glendon Mellow under Creative Commons Licence.
Flying Trilobite Gallery
###
Flying Trilobite Reproduction Shop #
##
2009 Calendar available for a limited time

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the poster, Glendon! I see "Darwin Took Steps" is on there too.

Glendon Mellow said...

It's actually a book cover, not a poster. Thanks Raptor!

Sean Craven said...

Congratulations, buddy. It looks good. It's funny to see how one specific image can take on a life of its own, isn't it? That little doozy sure is making its way in the world...

Funny how often that happens with works that actually carry meaning, you old symbolist you.

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks Sean.

I just keep hoping that Darwin piece doesn't become my one-hit wonder. Overall, I'm ecstatic at its success.

Actually, last week I finished a contract for it to appear on a small-press publication in Italy as the cover illustration. 3rd cover for one image! I made sure each editor was cool with it, and there isn't really much overlap.

I'll announce that eventually, when the book is closer to publication; late April I think.

Miriam Goldstein said...

I just got my copy of the book and your cover is so very, very lovely!

Glendon Mellow said...

Thanks, Miriam! Can't wait to get my copy. I'm really happy with how this cover turned out.

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |