Friday 6 April 2007

Fossil Hunters at Pigeon Lake



While out at our good friends' cottage on Pigeon Lake, Ontario, my five-year old nephew and I went for a walk. These days he's always picking up rocks. Since there is a lot of shale on the beach there, I suggested we look for fossils.
A few minutes later, and bingo! My nephew has his first fossil. Our hosts were gracious enough to let us keep it.
It appears to be a shell, and it looks similar to a cockle, perhaps like a small specimen of Acrosterigma? (Thank you, Dorling Kindersley handbooks!) Trying to identify it together at home was half the fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your comment and link to Naomi's poem. Back at our parent's house we have several trilobite fossils in an old rock collection; I should really find them again. It's somewhat of a shared fascination.

Glendon Mellow said...

I found Naomi's poem when looking through the blog search to see what other trilobite connections there are. It's a beautiful poem, and I found some other pieces I liked on that site too.
-Glendon

Post a Comment

Posts over 14 days old have their comments held in moderation - I've been getting an unusual amount of spam for a guy who paints trilobites. I'll release it lickety-split though.

Copyright © 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 Glendon Mellow. All rights reserved. See Creative Commons Licence above in the sidebar for details.
Share |